Monday, August 19, 2013

Floral Splatter Nails (Tutorial)

I was going through my heaps of body sprays and lotions and if any of you are like me, you have way too much of both. I decided to start repurposing my spray bottles. As soon as they are empty or low of body spray, I wash them out and use them for other things.

*Rinse, take off label and there you go. No need to go buy empty spray bottles.
 
This is when I decided that it would be cool to use these bottles for splatter nails. When splatter nails first got popular, they were made by dipping one end of a straw into polish, and then blowing on the opposite end of the straw. This would spray polish onto the nail and create a cool splatter effect.. but it was way too much work.
 
Instead, take a clean, empty spray bottle and add whatever color acrylic paint you like plus water.

 
The water to paint ratio here is about 3:1. I wanted my splatter to be more of a spray and less goopy. But if you want thicker, bolder splatters, use less water.
 
 
 
Step 1: Paint your nails any color of your choice for your base. Here I chose black.
 
 
 
Step 2: This is optional. I applied tape to the skin around the nails. This helps for easier clean up.
 
 
 
Step 3: Once your nails are taped and ready to go, make sure you have some paper towel beneath you so you don't get paint everywhere.
 
 
 
Step 4: This is the fun part. Apply your homemade spray paint. Acrylic paint is much more forgiving than nail polish. If you feel that it doesn't look the way that you would like, carefully wipe the paint off with a damp q-tip and start over.
 
 
  
Step 5: Once you have the look that you like, add a top coat to seal in your design.
 
 
 
You can choose to stop here if you would like, but I decided to add some floral prints on top.
 
 
 
This is the basic guideline I used to create my flowers.
Apply 5 dots in a circle and add a piece of glitter in the center.
 
 
 
This is my finished look. If you have any comments/questions feel free to leave them below!
 
 
<3
 

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea, I tried splatter nails last week, what a nightmare with the straw. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked. it too much good and informative thanks for the sharing. I love this idea, I tried splatter nails last week.
    Buy zopiclone

    ReplyDelete